Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. was suspended for nine months and fined a whopping $900,000 by the Nevada State Athletic Commission on Thursday for testing positive for marijuana following his unanimous decision defeat to Sergio Martinez on Sept. 15, 2012.
“ The nine months is fine, but a 30 percent fine on a purse of $3 million, that’s extortion. That means Julio has to make a decision — is he going to contest the fine in court or he can elect not to fight ever again in Nevada. There’s no question the nine months is the nine months, but it’s ridiculous money, particularly since you already take out 30 percent for taxes.” — Top Rank promoter Bob Arum
In Other Boxing News
Wladimir Klitschko to fight May 4
Wladimir Klitschko will defend against unbeaten Francesco Pianeta at the SAP Arena in Mannheim, Germany on May 4. Pianeta (28-0-1, 15 KOs) is rated WBA #12 and WBO #9. He says he learned Wlad’s weaknesses when working as a sparring partner for him last year. “I’m going to knock out Klitschko and set the boxing world on its head,” Pianeta proclaimed. Klitschko (59-3, 50 KOs) said he respects Pianeta and will prepare himself intensively for the fight.
Ponce De Leon-Mares Update
Daniel Ponce De Leon vs Abner Mares will be the semi-main event on the Floyd Mayweather-Robert Guerrero Showtime PPV card May 4 at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.